Sunday, May 03, 2015

blame it on me

I always feel like I need to start with an apology.  a reason for ditching.  for ignoring my faithful reader {okay, so maybe there are more than one of you!!!}.  honestly, I think part of me has been avoiding writing.  avoiding dealing with my shit.  avoiding the honesty chat that I should probably be having with myself.  alas.  I'm here now.  ready to chat.

only tonight, I think I have a purpose.  and it has very little to do with me, I think.  or maybe that's the complete opposite of the truth.

so tomorrow marks that beginning of mental health week, here in the great white north.  the canadian mental health association has done this week for the last 60 some years.  this year, the focus is on boys and men.  their slogan?  let's get loud about mental health.  #getloud

so just over two weeks ago, a colleague of mine lost his son to suicide.  this shit breaks people.  and it hit me hard.  I too, am a parent of two boys.  I too, know my youngest does not have an easy path when it comes to his mental wellness.  I too.  I too.  this grief runs deep.  am I doing enough, is the refrain that plays in my head.   so, in part to live my talk and in part to honour my friends, my colleagues, the students who step foot in my office, my family and my own two kids, this week I'll be modelling mental wellness and I'll be getting loud about it.

self care.  I'm good at this in a lot of ways, but really on the surface.  I need to care for my soul.  the well that flows so I can give.  so yes, I take time for myself.  I refresh in the rare solitude of my weekend.  but I avoid those things that really care for my soul.  writing.  walking.  playing music.  these things.  these are the things that really are my self care.

this week, this week is about these things.  getting loud for d.  getting loud for my sweet t.  getting loud for all the boys and men {plus all the girls!} I know who suffer with mental illness.  and in the same breath, it's about practicing mental wellness.  and about putting my actions where my words are.

it's going to be a full week of blogging, kids.


No comments: